Friday, August 03, 2007

Customer Zervice Praise!‎

A small article/letter in the Seattle Times triggered me to comment on "good" cusomer service:

Last weekend we were in Portland. Had turned of all the computers at home, but forgot to switch off the surge arrestor/power strip for my wife'scomputer. Home on Sunday night, her PC would not start. It was (stone) dead. The oven in the kitchen indicated "PF" (Power Failure), sort of strange in the middle of the summer, no thunderstorms, no foul weather. Good friends and neighbors told us that power had been out for about two hours on Saturday.

So on Tuesday I took wife's PC apart to test the power supply. Dead! Late Wednesday I remembered that APC (the surge arrestor manufacturer) has an "Equipment Protection Policy". I went to their web site and and tried to look it up. Took a little while but found it. Called them, too late, after office hours. My little device (purchased for $30 in 2002) carries a $75,000 "Equipment Protection Policy".

Yesterday I called them again. After getting the run-around via an IAVRS (inter-active voice response system), I got to a live person (Janelle Blacklock). She had some problems hearing/understanding, but after about 10 minutes on the phone, we were all said and done. I had a case number, and about 30 minutes later, also had an e-mail with additional information. I was sort of happy.

But, my jaw dropped today, less than 24 hours after my call, FedEx delivered a new replacement device from APC. Talk about service!

OK, the problem was/is not the APC part (it is still working), but the way their warranty works is that I will have to send "my" (old) APC device to them. Their tech lab will investigate and see if it (surge arrestor) has been exposed to any "power surges" (you can see that in the actual silicon "arrestor"). If they find evidence of that, they will assume the responsibility and repair my wife's PC.
Likely a fat chance that will happen, but I am still VERY impressed with their customer service.

Even though a new PSU for her PC (assuming that is the only thing that is wrong) can be had from Dell for just around $40, I sort of decided to give their "process" a try. Now I do not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and on topic, or your comment will be deleted