Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Old - French - FriendZ

After leaving Europe in the early 90ies, I sort of lost contact with many of my French friends. Been using different search engines to try to find them, but no luck.

Via a tip from a good friend in Sweden, I was guided to Copains d'Avant. Signed up, and low and behold, I found someone that "could" be the right person.

Trial message sent over, a few days of silence, but eventually an answer. Sure enough, it was the right person! He connected me to his wife (very old friend of mine) and I learnt that they unfortunately live separated (joint custody of a daughter though) since many years.

Just getting a few e-mails, some photos, and later also a long chat over the phone brought me back to the heydays of the 90ies in Paris. I was also amazed that my French is also still pretty much "there". I thought it had gone into a stage of "permanent hibernation", but chatting with old friends in French sure brought it out relatively quickly. Just proves that going to a "French coversation" class never can be the same as "the real thing". You need an emotional and "expressive" French person on the other side of the conversation. It is like jumpstarting a car with a fresh battery!

Isabelle and Xavier, sure is time for me to cross the Atlantic again, and thank you for being there all these years!

1 comment:

  1. cher per ola,c est isabelle,je viens de lire ton blog au sujet de tes amis français retrouvés...quelle émotion!! c est vrai , c est absolument génial de reprendre une conversation avec someone, exactly as it was yesterday we leaved each other..((excuse my english..)you told about an" hibernation"..of course we are staying same face!!even after a long time.bcse we are happy even if the life was not so easy..we are glad to live.nous avons la chance de savoir" rebondir"(like a ball)devant tous les problemes que la vie nous a presentés et toujpours avec beucoup d optimisme!! gros bisous de paris from isa

    ReplyDelete

Be nice and on topic, or your comment will be deleted