Saturday, July 08, 2006

MarineShop cloZed on a weekend?


Saturday is wife's birthday. Apart from all the "regular" stuff, we also plan for a run into Seattle for some birthday feeding.
On the way to "downtown" I manage to convince the driver to pass by Newport Shores and Mercer Marine. I am in dire need for some gaskets and seals for my newly cleaned carburetors.

Hitting the marina, just to find Mercer Marine CLOSED!
If you are in the recreation/leisure business, boating is still recreation for me, how come you actually dare to have a place closed on weekend day, a day when most boaters are looking for "stuff".
And, Mercer Marine being the only Volvo Penta dealer around, I really have no other choices than to return on Monday.
But, this still bugs me. I guess a call to Volvo Penta of North America is in place. I'd be happy to represent them, but these days, most of the stuff can be found on the internet from more or less scrupulous e-tailers in Florida.

However, I think Volvo Penta could be much better represented in the Seattle area than by these guys. Closed on a Saturday? They must be kidding!

(Note added on Monday 07/10/06:
Biked to Mercer Marine. With only one customer ahead of me, there is still a bit of a wait. The guy who eventually comes to help me out is friendly, but I can almost tell I know as much or more about boat engines and drives as he does. After scanning through their inventory, I leave with only about 10% of what I came for. The most important I got though; the gaskets for the high-pressure fuel line. All the other gaskets are in good shape, and can be replaced when the season's over and boat is undergoing winter maintenance.
Note to self: Next time in need of boat parts, don't even bother to bike/drive to MercerMarine. Better getting on the phone and order stuff from elsewhere. Likely faster, but MUCH cheaper. Sad, since I really like to support the local merchants, but I hope that someone reading this is nice enough to pass the message to Mercer Marine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and on topic, or your comment will be deleted