Sunday, July 09, 2006

CraZy Run...

My wife decided some time ago that we should run the half-Marathon of the SeaFair marathon. She has been pretty good in training regularly, I haven't. Probably gotten 10-15 miles totally in over the past few months, but that's it. Exercise have mostly been "walking the dog".

So, low and behold, today was the day. Wake-up at 6 AM(ouch!), chased out of the house at 6.30 AM in order to find a parking spot and be on the line to see the start of the Marathon at 7 AM. We missed that with a few minutes but were on time for our start at 7.15 AM.

Crowded field, quite a few that looked like they should not run, and quite a few that one gladly could run after... In other words, it's a mixed field.

Wife starts out way too fast for my taste, but I keep up and somewhere around the 4 mile mark, wife is no longer to be seen (behind me). I tell myself to run my race, not someone else's (it is easy to spick up speed way too early), but find a group pf people that seem to have a good pace.

I feel good, gaining on people on the up hills, and loosing some going downhill. At 8 miles, time is 01h07m. Wow, With just about three miles to go, I should be crossing the line at about 1h30m. Not bad for a guy who has not trained at all.

Coming down towards Richards road, heading north towards I-405 freeway and Bellevue downtown. I can almost see where the race is to end. But here, lesson one. Remember how long a half-marathon is. It is NOT 11 and some miles, but 13+ miles. In order to match that distance the organizers have sneaked in a "detour" (at least in my mind) and the course heads south, AWAY from the finishing area. I start to loose steam (maybe more mental), and also a bit concerned over cramps. Slows down a bit, not sure it helps but it feels good. Once the course turns north again, I remember how far it is to the finishing area from here. I get really tired. Start walking, streching my calf muscles until someone bumps my back with a "no walking" alert. Wife has caught up, and she is steaming towards the end. I try to keep up but realize that I have nothing left to keep up that pace for another mile or so. I remember to "run my race", and that finishing behind wife (=shame) is much better than not making it at all.
All in all, I cross the line at a respectable 01h52m03s, better than the race I did back in 1999 when I actually trained a lot. Not too far behind wife either, she only beat me with about 30 seconds.

We finish early enough so see the winner of the full marathon cross the line. He is a very small and thin guy from Kenya, and in about a time that is mine +30 minutes, he has run the double distance. Amazing. Wife goes up to congratulate him, and we figure he should have a pack of "groupies" and staff following him. But no, he just sits on the curb, catching his breath, drinking some water and looking like this is a day like any other day. We later see him leaving the area, still alone, no groupies in sight.

Oh well, another beautiful Sunday in the Pacific Northwest. I might be talked into doing this again, something I most likely will have forgotten, should the opportunity occur...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and on topic, or your comment will be deleted